Thursday, March 27, 2008

Learning from Tata's Nano

"Create more patents, create more new things" These are one of the companies' methods to reach their goal. Consumers meet with new technologies and new ideas. However, we do not need all of that!

Simpler Simpler
Nano, a new car made by TaTa Motors, was introduced in India. Nano is only retail priced at approximately $2500. If you compare with Mariz, the cheapest car in Korea, priced at about $7000 at retail, you know how cheap the Nano is. How could they reach this price? Tata Motors did not try to increase the price. They tried to decrease the price. First of all, Nano is overall a small and a light weighted car. Since it is small and light, they use less steel in the car. There is no air conditioning, power brakes, radio, etc from the entry level model. However, Nano meets all Indian emission, pollution, and safety standards, though it only attains a maximum speed of about 65 mph. Nano has filed only 34 patents, which contrasts with roughly 280 patents awarded to General Motors every year.

Opinion
These days, I have received much informations as well as ideas. However, I do not need all of ideas. For example, I do not need to use all the features in my cellular phone. All I need from my celluar phone is to call and talk to others and some text message function. I do not want to pay for the camera, games, etc in the cellular phone. However, cellular companies compete to add more features and set prices higher even though consumers do not want. I think that Nano is the best car that reaches needs because Nano satisfies the basic thing about a car, driving!
I hope these products come out more so that I only pay what I want to use.

Source: Learning from Tata's Nano, Business Week
http://www.businessweek.com/innovate/content/feb2008/id20080227_377233.htm?chan=innovation_innovation+%2B+design_innovation+strategy

Student #: 20400152 - Entry 3

No comments: